HOME /// 400 Day LETS Odyssey - CONTENTS

400 Day LETS Odyssey
Copyright � James Taris

JAMES TARIS around the World- (2003-4)

My Logan LETS host, Bernice, was a well-known conservationist.

AUSTRALIA - [QLD] Logan (Wk.1 of 3 weeks)
Week 58 of World Tour

Big Bruiser

On my first day in Brisbane, I was taken to my host’s home in Logan. Bernice was rebuilding her front verandah. “It’ll be much more spacious”, she said excitedly. “You’ll even be able to fit a couple of chairs and a table on one side”.

After a few days the carpenters had finished. “You’d better get it painted”, they recommended. “You don’t want it to rot, do you?”

So for the rest of my 2-week stay with her, Bernice kept dropping hints about painting her verandah. But honestly, it just wasn’t going to fit into my schedule.

But then, the unthinkable happened. While I was searching the internet for a cheap flight back to Melbourne, I found a super deal offered by Virgin Blue Airlines. But in order to take advantage of the cheaper ticket to Melbourne ($48 instead of $195), I would have to delay my return until Tuesday morning, July 20.

This meant I’d have to quickly find some new hosts for July 4-20.

Bernice was happy to have me stay with her again, so I soon found plenty of time to paint her verandah. And, boy, was she pleased!

On Wednesday we went to the Salvation Army Super Store and she bought me a pair of pants, shirt and T-shirt, all for only $6. On Thursday I painted from 9am to 4.30pm. And on Friday I finished the painting, from 9.30am-4pm. Fourteen hours of labour for one week of hosting. I thought it was a good deal, and Bernice was ecstatic. But I was a bit of a mess. My legs were very sore from all the squatting and I came out of the shower with a headache. And just to add insult to injury, I bit my tongue while having dinner and had trouble stopping it from bleeding. Needless to say, I wasn’t feeling too good that day. But there was more yet to come.

The lattice had to be screwed back on, so I planned to do it after our return from O’Reily’s the next day.

Waking up with a cold sore wasn’t much fun, but the day at O’Reily’s helped me forget my woes. We got back to Logan just as it was getting dark, and within a half hour or so I’d screwed the lattice back around the verandah. I was pleased to throw those old clothes out, never to be seen again. But just before I could kiss all my woes goodbye, I noticed a blister on the palm of my right hand, obviously a screwdriver injury. Now I know why I gave up all that manual labour work and chose to become a speaker/writer.

By the way, did I mention that we ordered the lattice from Lattice Alone?

This article is taken from the ebook,
400-Day LETS Odyssey

About the book

James Taris web sites